Citizen’s Basic Income Network Scotland is a charity campaigning for a basic income in Scotland. We support a network of basic income advocates – providing training and a platform for discussion. We lend our expertise to government and share the stories of people who would benefit from a basic income.
We are an entirely volunteer-run organisation, united behind the goal of bringing a basic income to Scotland. We are currently looking for a volunteer event coordinator to join our team.
The event coordinator role is a brand new position within our expanding volunteer team. You will help us deliver one of our key strategic aims: designing, coordinating and running an ongoing series of meet-up events. There may well end up being a team of volunteer event coordinators that help deliver these events – if you are interested in some parts of the role and not others, please still get in touch.
These meet-up events will help us increase our profile, engage with the general public and educate attendees about basic income and its benefits. The events will be fun, social and interesting to everyone, even those with no knowledge of basic income. Each event will have a theme and a guest speaker. There will be a focus on fundraising, capturing people’s opinions and gauging people’s level of understanding of basic income.
To start with these events will be run in Edinburgh, as this is where most of our team is based. In the long term we hope to produce a “How To” guide that we can pass on to basic income advocates around Scotland so they can host their own events.
This role is ideal for anyone looking to gain experience in designing, coordinating and running events. You will receive support and training from other CBINS team members who have professional experience of event coordination. You will be central to the development of this event series
Role and responsibilities:
- Seek out and liaise with venues suitable for these events.
- Support the design of the events, including: contributing to decisions over themes; finding speakers; and designing engagement and fundraising activities.
- Supporting the promotion of the events, including: producing content for social media; designing creative and effective ways of attracting event attendees; flyering and putting posters in local businesses.
- Support the delivery of the events, including some or all of the following: welcoming attendees; stimulating discussion about basic income; liaising with speakers; liaising with the venue; encouraging donations; promoting CBINS; distributing surveys; facilitating ice breakers and engagement activities; speaking.
- Support the development of a process for delivering a meet-up that can be replicated by other teams in different areas.
Skills and knowledge:
- Self-motivated with the ability to act on own initiative.
- A team player who can work with others to achieve common goals.
- Good people skills, able to make attendees feel welcome, engaged and comfortable.
- An interest in event coordination, promotion and/or design.
- Organised, systematic with good attention to detail.
- Comfortable speaking in front of others.
- Experience of community building an advantage.
- Experience of event facilitation an advantage.
- Experience of event coordination an advantage.
- An understanding of the importance of promoting basic income in a way that corresponds with the mission and ideals of CBINS.
- An interest in basic income and joining the CBINS team of volunteers aiming to bring a basic income to Scotland. This doesn’t mean you need to have a deep economic or academic understanding of the topic, just that you have an awareness of and interest in the concept. You will learn a lot about basic income very quickly.
Without volunteer contributions CBINS would not exist. In exchange for volunteers’ time, we provide opportunities for professional development. Let us know what you hope to gain from this role and we will do our best to help you achieve it.
If you are interested in becoming the Volunteer Event Coordinator for CBINS email us on firstname.lastname@example.org with a bit of information about yourself.